In recent years, online tutoring has become increasingly popular as a method of providing academic support to K-12 learners. With advancements in technology and the increasing availability of high-speed internet at schools, virtual tutoring has become a viable alternative to traditional in-person tutoring. Plus, a high-quality, high-dosage online tutoring program can help students reach significant academic gains, recovering pandemic learning loss and accelerating learning for students who are already on track.
One of the major advantages of online tutoring is that it can benefit different types of learners, including visual learners, students with ADHD, and students who struggle with social anxiety. With a virtual tutoring program, schools are able to offer personalized tutoring for each student who participates. This means that tutoring approaches, focus content, and frequency of sessions can all be customized to fit the unique needs of every learner.
Here are three different types of learners who may benefit from online tutoring:
Visual learners are individuals who learn best through visual aids such as charts, diagrams, and pictures. Online tutoring is an excellent way to support these learners because it allows for the use of multimedia tools, including videos and interactive whiteboards. Tutors can share visual aids with their students during online sessions, which can help reinforce concepts and aid in retention. Additionally, FEV Tutor’s built-in drawing tools can be used to create diagrams or flowcharts in real-time, making it easier for visual learners to understand complex concepts.
Students with ADHD
Students with ADHD often struggle with in-person learning environments due to difficulties with focus and attention. However, online tutoring can be a beneficial alternative for these learners because it provides a more flexible and customizable learning experience. For instance, online tutors can structure sessions to include frequent breaks or incorporate interactive activities to keep students engaged. Furthermore, virtual tutoring can be done from the comfort of the student's own home or a private learning area at school, which can help reduce distractions and promote a more relaxed learning environment.
Students with Anxiety or PTSD
For students who struggle with anxiety or PTSD, traditional in-person tutoring can be overwhelming and intimidating. Online tutoring can provide a more comfortable and relaxed learning environment for these learners, as they can interact with their tutor from the safety of their own home. Additionally, virtual tutoring allows for greater privacy and anonymity since tutors are not from the school or district and students won’t run into them outside of tutoring sessions. This can be reassuring for students who feel anxious during in-person interactions with adults and may make it easier for these students to engage during tutoring sessions.
Aside from the benefits online tutoring provides to these groups of learners, virtual tutoring can also benefit students with different learning styles and needs in the following ways:
- Personalized Learning: Online tutoring allows for a more personalized learning experience, as tutors can tailor sessions to the individual needs and learning styles of each student. Tutors can also use technology to track student progress and adapt their tutoring approach accordingly.
- Increased Accessibility: Virtual tutoring provides greater accessibility to students who may not have access to in-person tutoring due to geographic or logistical constraints. This can be especially beneficial for students in rural or remote areas or those who have mobility issues.
- Time Flexibility: Online tutoring can be scheduled at a time that is convenient for both the student and the tutor. This can be especially beneficial for students who have busy schedules or who need additional support outside of regular school hours.
- Reduced Cost: Virtual tutoring is a more cost-effective alternative to traditional in-person tutoring and allows for greater equity to help all students not just those who can afford tutoring support. It also helps schools and districts scale their tutoring efforts to improve academic gains for students.
- Enhanced Communication: Online tutoring allows for more frequent and convenient communication between tutors, students, and parents. Tutors can provide regular progress updates and feedback, while students and parents can ask questions or provide additional information about the student's learning needs.
Online tutoring can provide numerous benefits for K-12 learners with a variety of unique needs by providing a more flexible, personalized, and accessible learning experience. Selecting a tutoring partner who is able to accommodate the needs of every learner is key to creating equitable learning opportunities for each student in your school or district. FEV Tutor connects each partner with a member of our Academic Success team, which is composed of education experts, practitioners, and former classroom teachers. Throughout implementation, they will work closely with each of our partners to deliver a tutoring program that is personalized for each learner, driven by data, and designed to accomplish your school or district’s academic goals.